Donate to Africa trip via Paypal here

Friday, February 27, 2015

It's Feelgood Friday, even if you're not a rabbit

I get pretty down on corporations. When they are legally bound by the rules of corporate charters to do whatever it takes to maximize shareholder earnings, with no regard for ethics or morals (unless you can convince them it’s relevant to their profit margin), and when they own the political process, it’s a big scary world. And it’s no surprise that “The corporation” is an easy and believable default villain in the movies, now that we can’t just blame Russia (for the moment). Or did you think it was only Avatar?

This makes it extra precious, and extra important to note, when a corporation does something right, even if it might cost them moolah. And the world’s rabbits agree with me.
What, you think I'm above putting cute bunny pictures
on my blog?

I have no experience with angora sweaters. To be honest, if you’d asked me yesterday what they were made of, I probably would have guessed...uh...alpaca fur? Penguins? Angolans? But it’s bunnies! And it’s unbelievably awful! You can research the process if you don’t believe me (but I recommend you take my word for it, those images are truly nightmarish).

Bunnies!
So when Inditex, the world’s largest clothing retailer, agreed to stop selling angora products, it was beautiful news. And when they made the decision effective immediately, meaning they’d decline to sell about $900,000 worth of garments, I was impressed. And when they instead took those garments, and sent them to Syrian refugees freezing in the camps? I was speechless. (But luckily not text-less. You can send them a thank-you note here too.)

It always feels good to send positive feedback.
(Which reminds me, somewhere I heard the suggestion to make your first email of the day a positive one. I’m going to give it a try. You? I’ll be curious to hear how it goes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment