Donate to Africa trip via Paypal here

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Quick break for a piece of Tourist Responsibility


I'm going to take a quick break from travel stories because even though I don't take several showers a day and I've never played golf, I have been to one of the communities in Zanzibar mentioned in this article. Crap. Did I conceivably use 686 liters of water in a single day?
Did I conceivably use 16 times as much water as a local?


The jist of it is that we tourists, gallivanting around the world in the modern age of wonders, need to realize that we are part of the world, even on vacation. And more precisely, we are part of the place in the world where we are breathing. You're breathing in Dubai, Zanzibar, Goa, or basically any place other than the UK? Don't take long showers.
(In fact, quick rant, don't take long showers anywhere. As long as the temperature's decent, turn the water off while you soap up, then back on again to rinse. It feels better, saves soap, and saves water. I am always surprised that this one doesn't make very many "Top 10 Eco Tips" lists.)
You get the point. But now a question:
Anybody know what the water table is like in Ecuador?
Shit.
Graffiti in Cartagena, "First the locals, then the tourists."


No comments:

Post a Comment