Donate to Africa trip via Paypal here

Friday, April 20, 2012

First day of school in Nepa-, sorry, Nicaragua.


I got up this morning when the heat went from pressing my skin to punching it. The rainy season starts in a few weeks, but for now I sweat. During the bulk of the day the hammocks swing languidly, and the “pulperia” (mini-grocery) stores do a brisk trade in cool sodas.

My new friend came to collect me on her way to the school next door, where she valiantly tries to teach the kids yoga and art. The feeling quickly reminds me of Nepal, in its beautifully welcoming friendship and absolute chaos.

I am reminded again of the monumental task of US schools in converting children into factory workers who sit in orderly lines and obey.

Around 8:00 I follow Teresa, who works with the library, over to the school, where she gives me a tour and introduces me to the principal. They have two new buildings, though they can't use them until after the mayor comes down for an official opening and vote-securing hullabaloo & photo op.

I meet Alex, a large fellow with a kind face, who teaches English. He is initially wary, as are most English teachers I’ve met whose English is far from perfect when they meet a native speaker who claims to be an instructor. After I show him my sympathy and respect, the wariness fades and we chat comfortably. We decide I’ll help with a couple of today’s classes, then run my own lesson with half the 9th graders tomorrow, the other half the day after.

We head to his first class and find them taking their final exams. Oops, miscommunication. Instead we stand around and chat some more. Did I mention it reminds me of Nepal? A moist-armpit hour later we walk into his second class to find the biology teacher beginning her lesson, the class laughs, we turn around and leave. Nnnnnepal. Nnnnnicaragua.

We go over the plan again for tomorrow. I will show up at 7:45 and take half the 40 9th graders out to the covered area, where I will attempt a short lesson about baseball (Nicaragua differs from the rest of Latin America in that futbol is the second most popular sport after baseball. I've even seen a few Giants hats.) Then on Friday I’ll come back and take the other half.

I don’t really expect the lesson to work, but I am looking forward to the experience.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds s cool! Wow, I couldn't imagine teaching 9th graders English! I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete