Donate to Africa trip via Paypal here

Monday, July 12, 2010

Serendipity baby

This Universe is just too flippin amazing sometimes.  Of course things don’t always go well, but when they just fall into place…it’s a trippy sense of the Divine, no?

Last night was the World Cup Final, and my recent case of Spanish Futbol Fever had me stoked (if I can reveal my continuing low-grade case of California surfer slang).  Watching a soccer game alone is okay, but oh-so-much-better with friends.  The problem was, in this entire city I knew two people, and since they are always together, effectively count as one person with regards to likelihood of random encounters.

I wandered around the city all afternoon people watching, reading, and making a ginormous sandwich in the park with sharp sheep-milk cheese, fresh tomato, and red bell pepper while sitting across the path from a bench loaded with four nuns in beige robes eating ice cream.  It was beautiful.

But I didn’t see my friends.  It was getting kind of chilly, and since the game wouldn’t end until 11:00ish, I headed back to the place I’m staying to get my long-sleeve shirt.  Since the world is a beautiful and amazing place, on the way I ran into, yup, the couple I know.  They had a table with an extra chair in view of the screen, their Spanish couch surfing host was on the way, and suffice to say, I never made it back for that shirt and am absolutely fine with that.

I may have shivered a bit, but I had good Galician beer to drink, octopus to eat, and great company to keep me happy.  An entire city and I happen to walk right past their table.  Serendipitous, no?

And it gets better.  They were couch surfing, their host came by, he is fantastic, I need a place from tomorrow on, they are leaving today…  So now I am meeting the host, Juan, in the park tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 to move my stuff to his place.

I am adding Serendipity to my list of names of the Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment